A Christmas Carol – Diamond Edition (DVD/Blu-Ray Combo)
Alastair Sim’s tour-de-force performance as the ultimate miser, Ebenezer Scrooge, has almost single-handedly made this beloved version of Charles Dickens’ story into one of the best-loved Christmas films of all time.
Loaded with Special Features and Bonus Materials!
Blu-ray/DVD | 2 disc combo
Alastair Sim’s tour-de-force performance as the ultimate miser, Ebenezer Scrooge, has almost single-handedly made this beloved version of Charles Dickens’ story into one of the best-loved Christmas films of all time. Some of Britain’s best filmmakers united behind Sim, who was joined by a delightful cast of accomplished and acclaimed English actors; creating what many today believe to be the best and most faithful production of Dickens’ immortal tale. Cranky and curmudgeonly Scrooge learns the error of his unkind ways and is taught the true meaning of the holidays when he is visited by the ghost of his late business partner and the spirits of Christmas past, present and future. This Blu-ray edition has been digitally restored from a new 1080p, 24fps high definition transfer master produced from the 35mm negative and fine grain.
1951 | 86 minutes | B&W | Not Rated | Supplemental English and Spanish Subtitles
Commentary Tracks By Marcus Hearn and George Cole
- INTRODUCTION BY LEONARD MALTIN “DEAD TO BEGIN WITH: The Darker Side of A Classic”- An all-new documentary exploring the films bleaker themes and how they rivaled London of the 1950’s. Featuring British film historian and culturalist Sir Christopher Frayling. (25 mins)
- “SCROOGE BY ANOTHER NAME: Distributing A Christmas Carol”- An all-new featurette detailing the American release of this British holiday classic. Featuring US distributor Richard Gordon. (10 mins)
- “THE HUMAN BLARNEY STONE: Life and Films of Brian Desmond Hurs”-An all-new documentary chronicling the awe-inspiring life of Ireland’s most prolific filmmaker. Featuring Allan Esler Smith, the great, great nephew and biographer of Hurst. (40 mins)
- A SCHOLAR S VIEW – video narrative by Fred Guida, author of A Christmas Carol and Its Adaptations (35 mins)
- SILENT DICKENS a collection of early examples of Dickens on film. (includes HD: Scrooge -1922, Bleak House 20 mins)
- Bonus DVD Copy of “A Christmas Carol”
- “CAMPBELL PLAYHOUSE: A CHRISTMAS CAROL”- A digitally remastered version of original 1939 radio dramatization, narrated by Orson Welles and starring Lionel Barrymore. AUDIO ONLY (54 mins)
- BIBLIOGRAPHIC ESSAY by Fred Guida (10 mins)”
Alastair Sim, Kathleen Harrison, Jack Warner, Mervyn Johns, Hermione Baddeley, Michael Hordern, George Cole, Rona Anderson, John Charlesworth, Glyn Dearman, Clifford Mollison, Patrick Macnee
Brian Desmond Hurst