The Birth of a Nation
2015 Centennial Edition 2 Disc Set
D.W. Griffith’s Mighty Spectacle “The Birth of a Nation”. Also includes: D.W. Griffith’s colossal spectacle “Intolerance.”
Disc 1: The Birth of a Nation: One of the most famous silent ‘classics’ ever made is D.W. Griffith’s mammoth drama of one of America’s most dramatic moments in history — the Civil War. This film was based upon southerner Thomas Dixon’s book The Clansman and told the romanticized story of the struggle of the defeated south against the oppression of the carpetbaggers and scalawags during the recontructionist period. Griffith’s epic has been praised for its technical aspects, which were far ahead of its time, and the performance of its cast. It also has been the cause of heated controversy upon its release and down through the years due to its anti-African American slant and glorification of the “Old South” …as well as the foundation of the Ku Klux Klan. Be that as it may, The Birth of a Nation is still possibly one of the most powerful motion pictures ever produced. Silent with a music track.
1915 | 199 min | Color Tinted | Silent with Music Track | 1.33:1 | Dolby Digital | All Region | NR
Disc 2: Intolerance: Griffith’s answer to those who accused his The Birth of a Nation of being racist. He sunk all of his profits from that Civil War feature into the making of this massive movie composed of four separate stories which demonstrate how human intolerance has led to tragedy through the ages.
1916 | 180 min | Color Tinted | Silent with Music Track | 1.33:1 | Dolby Digital | All Region | NR
- Digitally Restored at the proper film speed of 16 fps
- Accompanied by a new recording of the original 1915 Joseph Carl Breil Music Score
- 100th Anniversary Edition
- National Film Preservation Winner!
- Video presentation of the Original 1915 Souvenir Program
- Bonus Feature film: D.W. Griffith’s “Intolerance”
- “Intolerance” is also accompanied by a new recording of the original 1916 Joseph Carl Breil Music Score
- Both films have been enhanced with authentic color tinting
- Photo Gallery
- Original 1915 Souvenir Program
- Music Notes by Eric Beheim – Printed insert/booklet (with Intolerance Music notes also)Review:
“∗∗∗∗ The landmark of American motion pictures.” – Leonard Maltin
Birth of a Nation – Lillian Gish, Mae Marsh, Henry B. Walthall, Elmo Lincoln, Erich Von Stroheim,
Intolerance – Lillian Gish, Mae Marsh, Robert Harron, F.A. Turner, Sam De GrasseDirected by
The Birth of a Nation – D. W. Griffith
Intolerance – D. W. Griffith