Available at last on DVD!
THE PROWLER – Famed director Joseph Losey’s long neglected masterpiece, scripted by legendary blacklisted screenwriter Dalton Trumbo, has been restored to its original bleak splendor by the Film Noir Foundation and the UCLA Film & Television Archive. A nefarious cop stalks a lonely, repressed Los Angeles housewife and decides to win her in the traditional film noir fashion – by knocking off her husband!
1951 | 92 min | B&W | Optional English Subtitles | 1.37:1 | Dolby Digital | All Region | NR
• Documentary featurette “The Cost of Living: Creating The Prowler,” with James Ellroy, Christopher Trumbo, DeniseHamilton, and Alan K. Rode
• “Masterpiece in the Margins”: Bertrand Tavernier on The Prowler
• “On the Prowl: Restoring the Prowler”: The Film Noir Foundation and UCLA Film & Television Archive Partnership
• Audio Commentary by Film Noir Expert Eddie Muller
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Photo Gallery
“A hallucinatory film noir! Losey’s best film!” – Film Critic, Dave Kehr
“Maybe the creepiest of classic noirs! A tawdry tale of sexual power relations.” – Village Voice
“A masterpiece of sexual creepiness, institutional corruption and suffocating, ugly passion.” – James Ellroy
Van Heflin, Evelyn Keyes, John Maxwell, Katherine Warren, Emerson TreacyDirected by